Introduction to social bond investing
Social bond issuance has grown exponentially from $18 bn in 2019 to $159 bn in 2022 and is a dynamic part of the ESG capital markets.
This sprint will provide participants with specific insights into the opportunities and challenges of these instruments. Social investment is central to a Just Transition yet the absence of an EU Social Taxonomy, no science-based data on social measurement and impact creates unique challenges for many social bond issuers and investors. Participants will learn how these bonds are structured and be able to apply this knowledge to their own investments.
Lecturer: Grant Metcalfe-Smith
Learning goal: Learn how a Social Bond is structured, how to perform Due Diligence and analyse its impact.
PS framework: Instruments and Institutions
CPD accredited: Yes (3 credits)
Beneficial for: Asset Allocators, Analysts, CEO, CFO, CIO, CSO, Legal & Compliance, PMs, Strategists, Sustainability & Stewardship Officers, Treasury
Sprint structure: 90min input + 90min deliberate practice, reflection and implementation planning
Format: Online (Zoom)
Costs: EUR 298 per participant
Minimum size: 5 participants
BEST PRACTICES (90min)
- EU Social Taxonomy status, ICMA Social bond principles + the SDGs.
- Transactions, monitoring and reporting
- Structuring considerations
DELIBERATE PRACTICE (60min)
Participants will apply the learning by:
- Examining a social bond investment and identify necessary due diligence and monitoring requirements.
- Compare ICMA’s ‘Impact Reporting for Social Bonds’ against their institution’s/ firm’s social bond investment impact reporting.
LESSONS LEARNED (10min)
NEXT STEPS (5min)
FEEDBACK FORM (5min)